Excellence in Service-Learning Student Award
The University Excellence in Service-Learning Student Award is given annually to a current VCU graduate or undergraduate student who has been an outstanding community-engaged student leader and peer educator. This award is open to any graduate or undergraduate student who has served or is currently serving as an Service-Learning Teaching Assistant.
Applications are due April 1, 2019.
Any current VCU student, graduate or undergraduate, who has served or is currently serving as a Service-Learning Teaching Assistant.
This university award celebrates and highlights student leaders who support excellence in service-learning pedagogy, practices, and partnerships.
Applicants will be reviewed within the following categories of excellence:
- Facilitating successful service-learning projects and ensuring mutually beneficial partnerships
- Enhancing the learning and critical reflection of fellow students
- Personal or professional growth and identity development
Recognition of Winners
The winner of the University Excellence in Service-Learning Student Award will be recognized at an awards luncheon held on campus on May 1, 2019. The winner will be awarded in a variety of ways, including a $500 stipend, an engraved plaque, a letter of recognition sent to the winner’s instructor, department chair, and community partners, and a university website story that highlights the winner’s accomplishments.
Current and former service-learning teaching assistants are encouraged to self-nominate for this award.
Applications include two components:
- Applicants must complete an online application which includes narrative written responses to reflective questions.
- Applicants must include at least one supporting recommendation from either the service-learning instructor they assisted as a SLTA or a community partner with whom they worked as a SLTA. The recommender must complete an online recommendation form which includes narrative written responses to reflective questions.
A full description of the submission guidelines, including a complete list of the application questions, is available for download as a one-page PDF document: Student Award Submission Guidelines (PDF)
Contact the VCU Service-Learning Office at (804) 827-8215 or firstname.lastname@example.org.